Friday 10 September 2010

Back to School Blues



"Oh Mum, I don't want to go to school"
"I know, darling. I don't want to go to work either but I have to and you three have to go to school!"

This is part of our morning routine every weekday. I don't think the children even mean it- it's just their daily mantra, part of the rhythm of life here at seven o'clock. By this time I'll have been up for around an hour and I'll have showered and dressed, dried my hair and put on my make-up. In many ways this is one of my favourite times of the day. I love padding about the house while everyone else sleeps. I love hearing the little sounds from their dreams, shuffling and snuffling. The tranquility, of course, is short lived and chaos reigns once I announce it's time to get up.

I suppose then it's only right that on weekends the tables are turned. The children need no cajoling to get out of bed. They delight in making as much noise as possible and there is no chance for us to have a lie-in.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment